Love and Care HVAC blog
Why is my air conditioner so noisy outside?
If you have a bed room next to your outdoor air conditioner or like to spend time in your back yard the noise you air conditioner makes may be excessive. A common question heating and air conditioning technicians hear in Sacramento is Why is my air conditioner so noisy?
Your air conditioner is a mechanical device and it has moving parts. These moving parts by nature are going to make noise. Excessive noise may be a sign of problems on the horizon or a problem that needs attention right now.
You may find there are a few reasons for a noisy air conditioner:
- Your system may be under full load and working at 100% of capacity on a hot day
- You may have worn parts that need to be replaced or repaired, fan bearings are a common problem to create a loud squeaking noise on a hot day
- The age of your system does come into play when there are concerns about the noise. You may have an older no frill system. This means that some of the devices may not be insulated and you can hear 100% of their work load
- Devices to reduce the overall noise were not added with the install
- The system is not assembled correctly and some of the bolts or screws may have backed out. There may be internal parts shaking from the normal vibrations from the fan or the compressor
What can be done about a noisy air conditioner
If your air conditioner is older it may be time for a maintenance to make sure it is working properly. When you purchase a home, nobody tells you that these system checks really need to be performed yearly. If your air conditioner has been neglected it may be dirty. An air conditioner that needs to be cleaned not only can make loud noises you may also find that your electrical bill are more than they should be.
Can moving the air conditioner reduce the noise
Moving an air conditioner may not be as easy as you would think it would be. Some areas and jurisdictions do not allow for air conditioners to be moved. There are also codes that need to be followed for noise and or safety requirements. There are also parts that would need to be moved like the refrigerant lines, the low voltage lines as well as the high voltage lines would need to be moved as well.
Some companies will only move the air conditioner when they replace the system. If it is the middle of summer the chances are good that most companies will be too busy to make the move for you.
The age of your equipment comes into play as well
Your air conditioner may be past its prime to consider moving. Moving an old system can lead to complications and for that reasons some companies will not move older units. If the system is old and the bolts or screws are not holding well, you may find the noise just creates more problems for you in the long run.
What to do about your noisy air conditioner in Sacramento
If your system has not been maintained this is a good place for you to start. If you are worried about the noises your air conditioner is making a full maintenance can help you find out what is going on. These appointments typically take 60-90 minutes. If you have concerns about what is going on we would love to help you out and take care of you. Its really easy to find a convenient time just Call 916-714-1143 and ask the helpful representative for a preventative maintenance visit.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.